Job openings for Fall 2017:
Collections Assistant (YCW-BCH)
The Collections Assistant will be responsible for an inventory of sections 27-30 of the Historeum’s third floor artefact storage room. The inventory project will involve updating artefact’s permanent locations in the online database, Collective Access. The Collections Assistant will photography all artefacts in sections 1-12 in the third floor artefact storage room that do not currently have photographs on the online database. The Collections Assistant will edit, crop, and upload objects photographs to Collective Access database. The Collections Assistant will work weekly with the accessions group to assist with cataloguing and photographing newly acquisitioned artefacts. The Collections Assistant will be trained in collections management, data entry, and pertinent museum administration skills.
This position will be located at the Colchester Historeum, 29 Young Street, Truro, Nova Scotia.
The pay for this position will be up to $14 per hour
Reports to: Curator
All applicants must:
- be registered in the Young Canada Works online candidate inventory (www.youngcanadaworks.gc.ca) and meet the eligibility criteria of the Young Canada Works internship program.
- be a recent graduate with a degree or college certificate in museology.
- have data entry experience
- have strong communication and organizational skills
- have strong computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, e-mail, Excel, WordPress)
- be fluent in English
- possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team
The following are considered assets to this position
- Knowledge of best practices in collections management.
- Experience handling artefacts.
- Knowledge of Nova Scotia history.
Physical requirements include standing, walking, crouching, moving around for extended periods of time, exposure to dust, lifting artefacts (no greater than 10 kgs), and the use of common cleaning fluids and ink.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment. Checks may include one or all of the following: Reference Checks, Criminal Background checks, Child Abuse Registry and education.
Salary Range: $14/ hour for a 35-hour week plus 4% vacation pay
Period of Employment: 23 weeks
Start date: October 16, 2017
End date: March 30, 2018
Deadline for Application: October 9, 2017
Resumes, Cover Letters, and References can be sent to:
Margaret Mulrooney, Curator/Administrator