Position Title: Interpretive Assistant
Work Location: Colchester Historeum, 29 Young St., Truro, NS B2N 3W3
Reports to: Joanne Hunt, Curator
The Interpretive Assistant attends to daily museum operations during the summer season, provides exceptional visitor service, and completes daily accounting. The Interpretive Assistant will develop and lead interpretive tours for museum visitors. The Interpretive Assistant creates and develops interpretive materials for families and children to accompany the museum’s core exhibit: “Colchester: Life in the Heart of Nova Scotia” and temporary exhibit: “130 Years: Celebrating the Truro and Colchester Chamber of Commerce.” The Interpretive Assistant will help to develop and facilitate educational tours with curriculum connections for school groups (May-June). The Interpretive Assistant will use database software to update an artifact collections database and research interpretive tours. The Interpretive Assistant will receive ongoing, daily supervision and guidance to help them accomplish their goals and objectives. Daily meetings will provide an opportunity to discuss challenges, accomplishments, and ask questions. The Interpretive Assistant will complete additional tasks as assigned by the Curator.
- Experience providing customer/visitor service
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Experience working in a team environment
- Ability to work independently on creative projects
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Publisher)
- Educational background in history, archeology, education, social sciences, art history or related field of study
- French language skills an asset
- Knowledge and interest of Nova Scotia history an asset
- Certified First Aid Training an asset
Wage: $12.55 plus 4% vacation pay
Start & End Date: May 20, 2020 to August 26, 2020
Number of Weeks: 14
Hours Per Week: 35
Deadline for Application: Thursday, May 14, 2020
- The student must be a full-time student in an accredited post-secondary institution or a graduating grade 12 student who is enrolled full-time in a university or college program in the coming fall term.
- The student must be a permanent resident of the province or reside in Nova Scotia for at least six months prior to this work term.
Resumes and Cover Letters can be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org